A Go Player

One man's fascination with the world's best game

Saturday, July 03, 2004

Should I Join a Go Club?

Within a few days, I find myself thinking that there has to be a better way to learn this game - there must be a more understandable approach than struggling through games with the rules half understood.

I do a web search, and soon I find myself at the Arizona chapter list of the American Go Association. And lo and behold, I am lucky enough to have not one, but two chapters in the Phoenix metro area. I decide that I will go to the Tempe club. But not yet.

I will not go to the go club until I can at least understand the game well enough to be able to understand what the better players are talking about.

I do another web search, and soon arrive at a list of computer software - hosted oddly enough at the same site. I download igowin.

After a few frustrating hours, I begin to understand the rules of Go at a more fundamental level. I can understand what is happening on the board, and why I am losing. I like this program. Perhaps I will buy the full program sometime down the line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home