A Go Player

One man's fascination with the world's best game

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Death Patterns

Just thinking about this... I played a game on DGS a few months ago, and I am going to have to go back and look at it, because it brings an interesting subject to mind.

See, I caught my opponent in a pattern at the edge where he kept trying to escape by moving out on the 2nd or 3rd line, and I would press him down again. I was squeezing with my moves as well, so he couldn't make eyes. After the second repetition, he resigned, but it made me think:

Besides a ladder, what are other dead patterns? I obviously found one, but couldn't repeat it. And it wasn't an atari-able pattern like the ladder, where you drive your opponent with repeated ataris. Instead it was a pattern where the only possible escape move led to a repetition of the same pattern of stones, only moved over about 3 lines.

Anyone know anything about this subject?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home