A Go Player

One man's fascination with the world's best game

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Rank(ed) Amateur?

Well, I keep going up in rank on KGS even though I keep losing game after game.

I'm now 20kyu. I thought that perhaps buying that great Go equipment would suddenly enable me to make that leap to where I understood everything, but it still isn't happening. I still feel lost. I can't play fuseki anymore, though my fighting is getting a little better. But I'd love to be able to not have to fight so much.

I have noticed that all the studying on tesuji and all that I had been doing had led me to an interesting pass... in almost every game I would focus almost exclusively on cutting off and killing one huge group - to the detriment of the rest of the game. I would succeed, but I would lose all four corners.

Granted, I have been playing almost exclusing 4-stone handicap games against GnuGo, but I still am losing by more than 4 stones' worth of territory. Ah well, with time comes experience. I still like the game, I just get frustrated easier these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home